October 12, 2008

Weekly Featured Artist - Melanie of Whimsical Creations


I'm thrilled to have Melanie of Whimsical Creations as this weeks 'featured artist' - I love her polymer clay items and I was the lucky first buyer in her etsy shop when I ordered my daughters a persanilsed fairy ornamant each! Melanie just keeps coming up with more and more unique things to make like cupcakes, snowflakes, wedding cake minatures, halloween ghosts and pumpkins, animals...... the list goes on and on!

Tell us all about yourself and your craft?
I am a stay at home mother of 2 children, a son age 7 and a daughter age 20 months. I have been crafting since I can remember. My family loves to hand make lots of things. My grandmother does portraits, my mother loves to crochet and my sister loves to create lots of things. I make polymer clay ornaments, figures, magnets, beads and pendants.

How long have you been creating your craft?
I started making ornaments out of salt dough with my mom as a child. I have been working with polymer clay for about 15 years.


What is one of the biggest lesson you have learnt about your craft & selling it? To be patient. Patience is really hard for me. I started selling my product on etsy in April and it took me until June to get my first sale.


Which of your items did you have the most fun creating & why?
My sock monkey & my cherry blossoms pendant. The sock monkey was inspired by fellow Fam (Fabulous Artistic Moms) members who have sock monkeys in their shop. They looked so fun. The cherry blossom pendant was inspired by a treasury I made of Cherry Blossoms, I absolutely love the way it came out.


Is there a basic ‘household’ item you use when creating that seems to work just as good if not better than the actual ‘tool’?
Toothpicks, string and an exacto knife....

What is your favourite candy bar & why?
Milky Way Dark (oh I'm sorry they changed the name to Milky Way Midnight). I have loved that candy bar forever (before dark chocolate became 'healthy' for you).


If money, responsibilities, and time were no issue where in the great wide world would you go & why?
I would love to travel to Hawaii. What a beautiful place to visit. I can only imagine the beautiful pictures I could take there while on vacation. My husband says every thing we do is a photo op. I also would like to take a class at the Deco Clay Craft Academy located in Hawaii. They teach you to make gorgeous flowers out of light weight deco soft clay.

You can visit Melanie on etsy HERE. With both Halloween and Christmas getting closer and closer you'll be covered at Whimsical Creations!! Mel says "I love to work on custom orders. Please contact me if there is something special you are looking for" - and don't forget to take a look through her sold items if you need a little inspriration for your custom order.

5 comments:

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Thank you for featuring me. You did a fabulous job. =)

Momma J said...

I love Melanie's work!!!

Alisa Noble said...

Darling shop!

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

Great blog on a wonderful artist!!

New England Quilter said...

I love Mel's clay creations! She is very talented!
Amy
http://newenglandquilter.blogspot.com/